There can be a number of different reasons for login problems on student lab compters at LTH. If you get an error message, read it and write it down. It can be good if you need to contact the support.
- You can not log in if you have not collected your LU-card yet. See the homepage for the LU-card.
- You have to be registered at a LTH programme or course to be eligble for login on the LTH computers.
- There could have been a problem when your password was synced to this system. Go to passport.lu.se and switch your password. This will trigger a new sync. Wait 15 minutes for the sync to go through. Then try logging in on the computers again.
- "Your account has been locked out". After 5 failed log ins on the same account it will be locked. It will be automatically unlocked after 5 minutes. Then you have 5 more tries, and so on.
- You have forgotten your password. Go to the page for forgotten password. Here you can make a password reset in some different ways. If that does not work, please contact LU Servicedesk, +46 46 222 9000. You can also go to Studiecentrum and ask them to help you. Remember to bring a photo ID.
- You could be sitting at a computer that has lost the network connection. Try another computer.
- Your account has been disabled. Contact DDG with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your phone number to speed up the process.
If you are a graduate student or a student that for some reason also work at Lund university you will have two different accounts to log in to.
- Work: lucatID
- Student: lucatID-s
This ads a level of complexity when you want to log in to student computers or when you want to print.
This is only a recommendation from DDG / support.
Tip! Talk to someone in your programme and get tips on what is required for your particular education.
An i5 processor and at least 8 GB of internal memory. If you are going to work in CAD software, we recommend 16 GB of internal memory.
We recommend Windows as our applications are distributed through AppsAnywhere, which requires Windows. It does not rule out that you buy a Mac or run Linux, but to be able to run the software we will offer, you also need to be able to run Windows. The Windows license itself is available to you for free on Azure Dev Tools.
A note about Mac: The new M1 and M2 Mac-computers can run Windows if you buy virtualisation software. Please be aware that you then only can run "Windows for ARM". In practise this means that there is a high risk that some of the windows software that you want to install will not run.
Portable or desktop?
- Better ergonomics when working
- No battery drain
- Can get a really big screen
- Easier to choose a colorful screen (eg ips panel)
- Faster (for the same money)
- It takes up less space
- You can take it with you
- You can work with it anywhere
Buying a laptop is always a compromise between several factors:
- Size and quality of screen
- Quality of the details
- Fast processor and graphics
- Battery life
One factor that is often underestimated is the battery life. If you buy an expensive computer with the fastest processor and solid game graphics, it will either have a very short battery life and weigh more.
The weight largely determines how often you take the computer with you in practice.
It is always best to see the screen in real life, before buying the computer. Glossy screen = deeper black "nicer". Matte screen = less reflections, ie better ergonomics.
Compare the speed of different processors, so you do not buy something hopelessly slow.
SSDs are much faster than a mechanical drive, but if you want a large drive, it will be expensive! Today, you can often manage the storage space with the help of online services. If they make sure to buy a computer where the disk can be replaced (not soldered), you can upgrade in a few years.
For several of our educations, the greatest demands are placed on the computers when you go in recent years. There is a risk that even if you bought an expensive computer in year 1, it is hopeless after year 4. Maybe it may be better to buy / borrow / inherit a slightly cheaper computer for the first 2-3 years and then have money to invest in a more powerful computer later.
Do not forget to do a backup! Especially if you have a laptop that is much more prone to damage and disappearance. A USB hard drive or a good network backup is not expensive considering that it can save several years of work.
At lukortet.lu.se/en, you can, for example, find out your PIN code and find contact information etc.
- If you have entered the wrong PIN code too many times, your code may have been blocked, contact the caretaker / info desk in your study building.
- If your card does not work in any doors at all, it can be broken, go to the Study Center and have it checked.
- If it works in some doors but not in others (which you know students are admitted through): Email email@example.com, include social security number and which doors it applies.
- Read more about the LU card at Lund University's website
- Hold down the Windows key and press the E key.
- Click "This PC" in the left column.
- To the right you can see H: \ How much space you have available and how much you have already used. (Hold the mouse pointer over to see more details)
- Note! It is important that the home directory is not too full! Several software programs work against your home directory without asking you. Unfortunately, it is common for programs to have strange problems when it gets full there. The error messages are seldom informative in these cases. Aim for at least 20% free space.
You can get more space if you have special reasons, for example if you work with a space-demanding degree project. Send an email to our support address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Save all the work you are doing on your computer. Shut down all applications. You will have to restart the computer at the end of these instructions.
- Find the Cloudpaging player icon in the toolbar. It is a symbol looking like a small blue cloud. It is found in the toolbar on the right half at the bottom of the screen.
- Right-click the icon and select "Exit"
- Right-click the Start menu. (Furthest to the left at the bottom of the screen.) Select "Settings" and then "Apps".
- Find and uninstall "AppsAnywhere"
- Find and uninstall "Cloudpaging player".
- Restart the computer.
- Go to apps.lu.se and follow the instructions to install again.
If you are not presented with the possibility to install again, try one of these solutions
- Clear out all cookies in the browser you use now. (You will loose a number of saved logins on other web pages as well...).
- Temporarily run your browser in incognito mode and go to apps.lu.se.
- Temporarily use another browser to go to apps.lu.se
With these tricks you should be presented with the possibility to install the software. It does not matter if you install the software with another browser, it will work with the browser you normally use as well.
Example of browsers; Edge, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera.