Skip to main content

Health care and insurance

As a European student you most likely have an EHIC card. This entitles you to pay the same reduced patient fees for public health care as for Swedish citizen.

Insurance through Lund University for exchange students

All incoming exchange students are also covered by an insurance through the university, Student IN. This insurance gives a coverage 24-hours a day within Sweden.

The Student IN insurance covers all your expenses for acute illness and accidents. The insurance also contains a liability coverage, a dental coverage and a property coverage.

Please note that this insurance doesn’t cover planned medical care. You are covered for emergency medical care which is defined in the terms and conditions as "symptoms that arise suddenly during the insurance period and for which the insured must seek medical aid within a few days.”

This means that if you visit the health care clinic or the hospital for acute illness you can get the money back for the doctor’s appointment and for any prescribed medicine. Follow these steps:

  1. Go to the doctor
  2. Pay the fee (if possible, otherwise turn to Cecilia Nilsson at the International Office LTH)
  3. Save the original receipts
  4. Fill in the claim form (preferably digitally but signature by hand)
  5. Scan the claim form and the receipts and submit them to Cecilia Nilsson at the International Office LTH who will sign and send it to the insurance company Kammarkollegiet.

    Email Cecilia Nilsson
    Claim application form Student IN (PDF, 161 kB, new tab)

Kammarkollegiet will review and pay back the money within approximately one-two months depending on their work load.

Please note that Lund University cannot determine if you are eligible for reimbursement by the insurance. It is always Kammarkollegiet that determines your eligibility. You should always try to file a claim form if you are unsure. Kammarkollegiet will base their evaluation on the information you state in the claim form about what happened.

Contact information

In case of emergency
Dial 112

Free medical advice
Dial 1177

Emergency psychiatric care (Lund) 
+46 (0)46 17 41 00

Health care centres
Health care centres on Region Skane website

Health care and insurance on Lund University's website

Student IN for exchange students in Sweden

Page Manager: | 2023-10-25