Health care and insurance

As a European student you most likely have an EHIC card. This entitles you to pay the same reduced patient fees for public health care as for Swedish citizen.

Insurance through Lund University for exchange students

All incoming exchange students are also covered by an insurance through the university, Student IN. This insurance gives a coverage 24-hours a day within Sweden.

The Student IN insurance covers all your expenses for acute illness and accidents. The insurance also contains a liability coverage, a dental coverage and a property coverage.

Please note that this insurance doesn’t cover planned medical care. You are covered for emergency medical care which is defined in the terms and conditions as "care for symptoms that arise suddenly during the insurance period and for which the insured must seek medical aid within a few days.”

This means that if you visit the health-care clinic or the hospital for acute illness you can get the money back for the doctor’s appointment and for any prescribed medicine. Follow these steps:

  1. Go to the doctor
  2. Pay the fee (if possible, otherwise turn to Cecilia Nilsson at the International Office LTH)
  3. Save the original receipts
  4. Fill in the claim form (preferably digitally but signature by hand)
  5. Bring the claim form and the original receipts to Cecilia Nilsson at the International Office LTH who will sign and send it to the insurance company Kammarkollegiet. 
    PLEASE NOTE! Due to COVID-19 you should now scan the claim form and receipts and submit it by email to 

Claim application form Student IN (PDF, 298 kB, new tab)

Kammarkollegiet will review and pay back the money within approximately three weeks.

Please note that Lund University cannot determine if you are eligible for reimbursement by the insurance. It is always Kammarkollegiet that determines your eligibility. You should always try to file a claim form if you are unsure. Kammarkollegiet will base their evaluation on the information you state in the claim form about what happened.

Contact information

In case of emergency
Dial 112

Free medical advice
Dial 1177

Emergency psychiatric care (Lund) 
+46 (0)46 17 41 00

Health centres
Health centres on Region Skane website

Information on health care in the Student Guide

The Student Guide has detailed information regarding local health clinics, pharmacies and other health related information. See chapter 4.

Student IN for exchange students in Sweden

Page Manager: | 2020-08-28